Stay Smart Online
November 2013Share This Story
We are currently promoting Stay Smart Online, an Australian Government initiative from the Department of Communication, aimed at helping creating awareness and increase education of how people can protect their personal information and stay safe when they are in an online environment.
Stay Smart Online has some top tips for safe online shopping, which include:
- Be wary if the website looks suspicious or unprofessional or makes unrealistic promises. Bargains which look too good to be true often are.
- Know what you are buying. Read the description of the product carefully – check the size, colour, value and safety of the product.
- Read all the fine print. This includes refund and complaints handling policies.
- Check the currency, postage and handling and other charges. There may be extra charges you aren't aware of. Only pay via a secure web page, one that has a valid digital certificate.
- Use a secure payment method such as PayPal, BPay, or your credit card. Avoid money transfers and direct debit, as these can be open to abuse. Never send your bank or credit card details via email.
- Always print and keep a copy of the transaction. Keep records of any emails to and from the seller.
- Always conduct transactions within the auction website. Avoid private contact or payment directly with buyers or sellers; scammers will often use this ploy to 'offer a better deal’.
We encourage you to follow these tips and if you notice any unusual activity on your accounts contact us on 13 25 85.