Society’s most challenging problems cannot be solved by government and not for profits alone.
B Corps use their business as a force for good by using their profits and growth to make a positive impact for their employees, communities, and the environment.
Together the B Corp community works toward reduced inequality, lower levels of poverty, a healthier environment, stronger communities, and the creation of more high-quality jobs with dignity and purpose.
Certified B Corps are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and accountability to balance profit and purpose.
Businesses must achieve a minimum of 80 points out of 200 to certify. The rigorous and independent certification is the mark of a good business, one that is working to benefit all stakeholders. Beyond Bank’s impact score is currently 98 with the requirement to re-certify every three years. In 2020 we aim to improve our impact by 10%.
Our B Corp certification is how we run a ‘fine tooth comb’ through our business. It’s how we measure what matters – not just our bottom line. It allows our bank to identify our areas of strength and our opportunities to improve across all aspects of our business.
“B Corp certification is how we push the bar higher for business. It’s how consumers can hold businesses to account and to be sure that when they say they are working in the best interests of all their stakeholders we can trust that they are doing just that.” says Kate Carroll, Sustainability Manager at Beyond Bank Australia.
Our bank is focusing on the following opportunities so that we can continue to grow our impact;
- Redefining our purpose and the role we play in helping to change customers lives for the better
- Through our wellness committee, we are looking at how we can support and improve the well-being of our people at home and at work
- Engaging our people through volunteering and giving back programs so that it is easier for them to support causes that they are passionate about in their local communities
- Reviewing our procurement framework to support sustainable business partnerships
- Reviewing our operational footprint of our branches and facilities so that we can reduce our resource consumption including energy and waste.
And this is just the start. Our B Corp certification has provided us with a road map for how we want to better our business for a better world.
“Change isn’t always easy” says Carroll, “there is still more for us to do, but having such a strong values driven culture and people who genuinely care, it’s an exciting and rewarding journey to be on.”