ATM and card security
You may have heard these before, but we think it’s better to be safe than swindled.
Smile for the camera
- Cover the keypad as you enter your PIN into an ATM
- Use a different ATM if it appears to be damaged and notify the owner if possible
- Change your PIN regularly - but don’t use a PIN that easy for others to guess (like your date of birth)
Swipe away safely
- Check your EFTPOS receipts for any irregularities or inconsistencies
- Check your account statements regularly and be aware of your balance
- Do not write your PIN anywhere
It’s easy to become complacent. We live in a world of constant online updates, and password paralysis can set in when we’re faced with yet another sign-in page. But that’s no reason to let our guard down when it comes to banking online.
- Maintain an adequate level of anti-virus software on your computer
- Delete emails and attachments if they seem suspect – it may be a virus!
- Beware of emails with ‘friendly’ headings from addresses you don’t recognise
- Set your spam email preference as high as possible
We will never send you an unsolicited email requesting password or security information. If you ever receive an unsolicited email claiming to be from us, or from another Financial Institution, requesting that you click on a link or provide personal information, it may be a scam so check with us before you respond.
Fraudsters have developed a technique to intercept the onetime passcodes sent to mobile numbers via SMS to authenticate transactions processed via internet banking and other channels. This involves transferring or ‘porting’ your mobile phone to another mobile provider without your knowledge. After they’ve ported your mobile number they can then intercept the SMS code we send you to authenticate a transaction to conduct fraudulent transactions on your account.
If you notice that your mobile phone has unexpectedly stopped working, contact your provider immediately to confirm why your service has stopped. If your mobile number has been ported, contact us immediately so we can protect your account against fraud.