We believe that everyone in our community should have the right to as much financial freedom and independence as possible.
That’s why we are delighted to announce the opening of a new branch in Canberra’s city centre that has been designed especially for people with disabilities.
The Canberra city branch has been built and furnished after extensive consultation with key disability groups including Dementia Australia, Down Syndrome ACT, Marymead Autism Centre and Getaboutable.
After collating the results, Beyond Bank’s interior design team has made significant changes to its standard branch fit-out that include new textures, colours, lighting, flooring and signage.
Major changes include:
- Replacing dark purple carpet with lighter coloured flooring to improve depth of perception for people with dementia who can become fearful of dark spaces;
- Removing laminated countertops and installing stone and timber surfaces to make physical contact with the teller less confronting for those living with dementia;
- Installing soundproofing to meeting rooms to minimise external noise that can cause confusion and stress;
- Installing dimmable lighting technology and curtains to make the banking environment less likely to cause over-stimulation of senses;
- Providing a hearing loop for deaf customers who can tune their hearing aid to an internal banking channel;
- New, clearly worded signage in simple font to direct customers to key zones within the branch;
- Lowering teller counters to allow easier access for customers in wheelchairs or mobility scooters; and
- Staff training programs to upskill on ways to best assist customers with dementia and autism.
Working with our disability service providers, we have considered every aspect of the banking experience and heavily invested in providing the right environment for all of our customers.
And, if we have made life a little easier for those living with a disability, then we have achieved our goal.